Friday, April 23, 2010

The Story Of Tatoo The Cat

I believe we're coming to the end of our time with Tatoo the cat. He's getting close to a year old although compared to Brewski he still looks like he's closer to a month or two, of course that doesn't stop the little guy from tackling Brew when his back is turned. It's difficult to tell how Brew feels about Tatoo. Sometimes when I hear his growl I look over and sure enough Tatoo has tackled him and they're wrestling in the ground, back feet with claws out swinging at each other. Other times I look over and they literally have their arms around each other and Brewski is licking Tatoo's head, growling the whole time.

When we first got Tatoo he hid under the bed, he was terrified of all humans, although somewhat friendly with the cats. Over these few months he's slowly become trusting of us and he loves the other cats, especially Brewski. Even this morning we made another breakthrough. Usually it's tough to pet him. If he only sees my hand then he likes to be pet, he likes to chew on my fingers, but if he notices the rest of me he flees in terror. Bed is often a good place to pet the cat as the bulk of my body is hidden. Usually however if I try to pet his head or get my own head too close he'll run off the bed. This morning I sat right up and he let me pet his head for a couple minutes before getting scared, at which point I stopped petting him so he wouldn't run off the bed.

I believe he's ready to go to a new permanent home, or more I think there may be a family ready to take on the cat he is now. Of course there are a few things that Tatoo is going to need, patient owners probably without small children but only because I doubt he'll even let children touch him and a family with kids should get an animal that they can touch. He's also going to need another cat since he identifies very well with other cats and I think he'll be lonely without another cat since he may not ever become fully trusting of humans. One big positive is that he is extremely gentle with his claws, I have no fear of him actually hurting me when he's clawing at my hand, maybe the odd little nick here or there but he doesn't pull them right out when we're playing. I also don't notice him attacking furniture. About the only thing he does destroy is toilet paper rolls and that he will do in abundance if you give him the chance. He's quick about it too. turn your back for just a minute with a roll near him and you'll have a good ten minute clean up on your hands.

Unfortunately we may very well be the ideal owners for him ourselves and I believe the SPCA expects many foster people to simply adopt the pet they're fostering. Our goal wasn't to obtain another animal, it was to help animals that need help adjusting, learning to trust people, or just a place to stay for a month or two and there are other animals that need help. I don't think many people would have wanted Tatoo at the time we got him but I think there are many that would now, at least I hope so. If the situation is even that Tatoo would be put down we could never give him up but I don't relish the idea of having three cats.

So I'm going to go back to the SPCA next week and tell them that if they can find another family that wants Tatoo based on my suggestions then that's great and we can take on another problem animal. If they can't then we'll keep Tatoo and we won't be able to foster any more animals.
I would much rather help animals like the Tatoo was when we first got him than accumulate a herd of cats but I'm at the mercy of the SPCA and their experience here so we'll just have to wing it from here.

Either way I will be happy, we saved Tatoo from a put down list which he was on because he needed someone to be patient with him and provide a stable environment for him to gain confidence on his own schedule. I like the animal and I don't mind keeping him, again three cats is a bit much but we'll live, but there are many other animals that can be saved. Families don't go into the SPCA and take the scared kitten, they want the playful one for their kids, or themselves. It's just life I suppose and a kid should have a kitten that he/she can play with but it still breaks my heart to think that little kittens and puppies are being put down because some jerk has taught them in their first few months of life to be fearful of humans and now no one wants to adopt them. With violent animals it pains me less, it still sucks since it's usually not the animals fault, but they are violent and there are so many that need help you have to draw the line somewhere. The animals that are gentle but scared deserve a second chance but I wonder how many actually get one.

1 comment:

Joe D. said...

What you are doing is commendable and I hope Tattoo does get adopted and you can foster another animal.