Wednesday, April 14, 2010

1st Round Playoff Predictions

Why not. Everyone gets to make predictions and since I get more and more interested in the playoffs each year the Leafs miss them by now I figured I probably know the other 29 teams better than I've ever known them. Plus no matter how bad I do I'm sure I'll be able to find a 'professional' with a worse record than me.

We'll start with the East since I know that conference better than I know the West:

EAST

(1) Washington vs (8) Montreal
One benefit to living in Montreal is getting to once again be in a city that enjoys playoff hockey. Unfortunately I haven't lived here long enough to see Montreal actually win a playoff game but they have played four of them since I moved. I don't think I'm going to see them make the second round this year but I do think they'll win a game, maybe even two, this year.
The Capitals finished the season with the most points, they have the most exciting player in the NHL, they have a good core of players behind Ovechkin and a strong defense. The only weakness they may have is in goaltending where former Hart winner and Montreal Canadien Jose Theodore has been named the starter. So the weakest point of the team is filled by a player who might have some real incentive to beat Montreal. It's a tought draw for Montreal and while Washington may not win the East due to goaltending, they'll win this series.
Washington in 5

(2) New Jersey vs (7) Philadelphia
The Devils are the NHL's perennial playoff team although they haven't made it past the first round in three years. Brodeur was passed over for Luongo during the Olympics and even though he'll be 38 next month his numbers this year were right on par with his usual numbers including 77 games played. Unless he falters unexpectedly the Devils will be able to play and win with thier defensive style. Don't forget they picked up Kovalchuk who had 41 goals this season.
Philadelphia squeaked into the playoffs with a shootout win over the Rangers. Had the Flyers lost that game they'd have finished in 9th and the Rangers would have been 8th. That's a pretty high note to enter the playoffs on but that may just mean it's going to hurt more when they hit the brick wall in the Devils net.
New Jersey in 6

(3) Buffalo vs (6) Boston
Boston's off season will probably be more successful than their playoffs after locking the number two pick in the entry draft this year. They lost Kessel to the Leafs and Savard to injury, they're going to lose this series too. Defensively they're not too bad a team but they struggle mightily at times on offense and now they have face Ryan Miller in net for the Sabers.
The only team to score fewer goals than the Bruins this year was St. Louis and Miller has a GAA of 2.22, nuff said.
Buffalo in 5

(4) Pittsburgh vs (5) Ottawa
2009 Stanley Cup, 2010 Olympic goal (OT winner to boot), is there anything left for Crosby to do? Win back to back Cups like his friend and mentor Mario Lemieux is one thing he could do. Strong supporting cast and the experience from last year is going to help Crosby and the Penguins go far, probably.
Ottawa is a solid team this year after missing the playoffs last year with a stronger defense and more reliable goaltending. The loss of Kovalev may make the difference, with him I might call this one a coin flip but without him...
Pittsburgh in 7

WEST

(1) San Jose vs (8) Colorado
Most people expected Colorado to battle for the top pick in draft this year but they managed to play solid early and end up in 8th spot. San Jose has been good for a long time but have yet to cause much damage in the playoffs. If they don't win this series something major will have to happen.
How can Colorado win? Well they were 2-2 against San Jose in the regular season and Craig Anderson won 38 games this year. Matt Duchene has an 'upper body injury' but should play. Perhaps a brutal upset in the making but I doubt it.
San Jose in 4

(2) Chicago vs (7) Nashville
Chicago should also go far this year with the likes of Towes, Kane, and Campbell among others but let's not rush them into the second round just yet. Nashville managed 100 points this season and they're not going to go away quietly. I guess we'll have to say they're going to go away noisily.
Chicago in 6

(3) Vancouver vs (6) Los Angeles
The Sedins are good, very good. Luongo is good, very good. Kessler is good, very good. The Canucks are a good team. The Kings are a very young team with a lot of promise but the Canucks were a young team with lots of promise a few years ago, now they're good, very good.
Canucks in 6

(4) Phoenix vs (5) Detroit
I realize that I've only picked favorites so far but this time I'm going to go against the popular opinion. I also know that Phoenix is ranked above Detroit so if I pick them I'm still picking the favorite but everyone expects Detroit to win this series.
Phoenix is on a big rush, the team is setting records for regular season wins and points and it looks like Jerry Reinsdorf has saved the team. They're going to be hungry to win against a veteran team.
Phoenix in 7

I would have put more time into my Western predictions but the games start tonight and I'm late for a pub meeting. Also no time for spell check.

Yay playoffs!

No comments: