Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Habs In Tough And Les Station Des Sports Sucks

When the Habs were up 4-1 going into the third period against Washinton last Saturday night I had only two thoughts in my head. Where the hell is my food? and Wow the Habs could beat the best regular season team in the league in the first round.

We went to Les Station Des Sports near the old Forum. It was packed for the game so they suggested we go down the street to a karaoke bar which was owner by the same guy. This point is important because Les Station Des Sports sells 4 quart pitches for 17 bucks. It's a great deal. We managed to find room, ordered a giant pitcher between four of us and took a look at the menu. Standard stuff, I ordered a cheese burger mid way through the first. It was 2-0 Habs by then and I was texting Kate that I was in shock that the Habs were off to such a great start. On top of leading the series 1-0 and the game 2-0 they ran Jose Theodore out of the game. Here's a guy who won the Hart trophy for the Habs, now they're scoring goals on him like he's a lacrosse goalie defending a soccer net.

The pitcher goes down fairly quickly and we order a second midway through the second period. I think the score was 3-1 but I was deeply engrossed in conversation and barely paying attention to the game figuring the Habs have got it all wrapped up. When it was 2-1 I was slightly concerned but then it was 3-1, then 4-1. The game was no longer tops on my mind. The beer was doing it's work and my stomach was growling.

Finally before the end of the second period a bunch of food comes from the main bar, same owners, one kitchen. It makes sense, it's fine the kitchen is two doors down, it's just a hamburger, no problems. The food sits on the counter for 15 minutes so the staff can take inventory. Remember this place is called Les Station Des Sports, they also own the Cock and Bull. At least that place has an appropriate name. Finally all the food has been distributed, unfortunately it turns out none of it was for us.

Second intermission I've completely forgotten about the game and I'm slowly getting angry that we've got no food and super giant pitchers of beer to drink. I would have stuck to bottles if I knew they were only going to pretend to feed us.

Third starts and shortly into the period the food finally comes. It sits on the counter for 20 minutes while the staff inventory it. I should note that it's a 4 dollar hamburger so I have little to complain about but still. Finally the very last of this second round of food comes to us. Worst hamburger ever and I've eaten many a horrible high school cafeteria hamburger. This thing was burnt all over and drier than sand. I'm literally choking it down and chugging what must be my fifth pint from these stupid giant pitchers.

It's only after I've finally finished this terrible terrible cold as hell burnt piece of crap that I notice the score is 5-4. The Habs must have had the same burger at intermission. Between discussing the worst food we've all ever had, the fries and poutine were both cold too, and watching the game I'm left debating which is worse for the city of Montreal: a Washington comeback or the fact that this horrible place exists.

5-5 OT. The food is not sitting well.

6-5 Washington I mange to keep the food down but only because I hadn't eaten in 45 hours thanks to Les Station Des Sports. (I write it out a lot so Google picks it up and maybe I can save someone else's Sunday morning.)

I know it's a bad sign. I don't stagger very often but after helping finish 8 quarts of beer on essentially no food I'm a bit tipsy. The next day I'm not feeling good. Probably similar to how the Habs felt that morning. The good news is that I will recover from the hangover, never go back to that bar or it's affiliates again and I'll be good as new by Monday (which is true it really happened). The bad news is that the Habs are not going to win this series. Game 2 was the biggest game 2 I've ever seen. The Habs went from almost taking the first two games from Washington in Washington to letting them come back from a huge deficit in the third period. I think I actually saw Halak hand the confidence of the team to Ovechkin after the game.
Maybe they can recover back in Montreal. Maybe they won't think about how they squandered a 4-1 lead and blew an oppourtunity to put the Caps in a really bad spot down 2-0 with two games in Montreal ahead. But I doubt it.

Sure enough I check the score last night while in my camera class 4-0 Washington, 5-1 final. Washington is done being the pushovers they were for the first 5 periods plus an OT of the series.

I doubt Montreal is going to win another game but it's going to be closer than a 4-1 final looks. If Montreal had kept the lead in game 2 I'm sure they would have won a game at home and gone back to Washington 3-1. Even if it was 2-2 after 4 games they'd still be battling and people would be saying it's any one's series. Maybe it still is any one's series, Ovechkin or Semin, take your pick.

And whatever you do never ever go to Les Station Des Sports near the Forum is you want to eat anything that's not late, cold and tastes like a road apple.

No comments: