Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Day of Class

There was supposed to be a Subway restaurant right beside the building I had class in, there wasn't. Google maps has failed me again, although it's still awesome so I won't cancel my subscription. I spend about 5 minutes looking for the Subway before hitting the Three Amigos. It's a Mexican place I think, I stopped paying attention when I saw they had tap beer. So I sat in a crowded restaurant eating a burrito I think and reading Catcher in the Rye. That book actually makes me laugh out loud, that's not very common for me and books. I especially like that the main character calls everyone a jerk. Ahhh music to my ears, I can really relate to Holden Caulfield, we both don't like jerks. You know who you are, jerks.

Anyway the class is small and crowded but a bunch of people left at half time because they thought the class was so beginner for them. The prof mentioned a number of times that if it was too easy to bump up to the next level. This class was easy for me but I still made a couple minor mistakes and I figure the 2nd or 3rd week won't be as easy and I want straight As so I'll stick around.

We learned simple things like Comment tu t'appelles? and Ca va? and A Demain. Greetings and some general rules, a few of which I didn't know. I'm going to need to figure out how to make my keyboard french soon. I've got to practice as much as I can, Madeame Plain even compared learning a language to learning an instrument. I thought that was quite an apt comparison for me since I'm taking guitar lessons too. Guitar is all about practice and the example my guitar teacher gave me was when you're practicing sports, just keep doing the same thing till it's second nature. So when I'm watching baseball really I'm practicing guitar and learning french! Go Jays!

While we were going through the syllabus we came to a section called the Moodle. The prof skimmed it and asked is it was up and a student said no. I'm thinking, moodle? So I asked, uh what's a moodle? I guess it's a pretty common term for the kids these days cause the room erupted in laughter. It turns out it's some kind of online learning tool. I'm not sure how much we'll use it because we have these labs where we have to record ourselves speaking in french but we do have homework on it of some kind. We looked it up when I got home, seems a number of schools are using it, go figure. Now I'm hip with the lingo and can converse with the local youth population.

Swimming tonight may be lost to the ether. Kate woke up with a sore neck. I could go by myself but, well, let's just be blunt, I'm not going to swimming.

We signed up to work on a farm for a few hours on Saturday, pending the condition of Kate's neck. That should be good for us. We'll get to learn some of the things we'll need to know for when we have our own farm. I will keep you posted on that front for sure.

That's the Crap I Did yesterday.

No comments: