Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Blue Jays Catcher In The Rye

I can't help but write a little something on the Jays while they're in first place, it may not last long. On the other hand it may, they've got a good team. I'm pretty excited about this year, I'm always a little excited at the beginning of the year and as the Jays fly out of the gates to 3rd position I slowly lose interest. This year however they're hitting very well and getting extraordinary pitching from some rookies who are filling in for injured starters. That's generally good news unless the rookies falter and the vets coming back aren't able to regain their former skill, which happens to pitchers. BJ Ryan for example although we're lucky enough to have Scott Downs to fill in admirably.

Usually the Jays are a good team but since the Yanks and BoSox are both in our division we've been stuck in third and out of the playoffs every year. Then Tampa Bay decided to be good last year the jerks, so we have them to contend with too. Maybe this year is our year to be the jerks!

I had to buy the right to listen to the games on the radio. That's right, listen to baseball on the radio costs money, if you want to do it over the Internet anyway. Talk about jerks. I wrote a scathing letter to mlb describing in great detail the magnitude of their jerkness. The letter back said thank you for your interest or something, then I paid the jerks their 15 bucks. If you go to the fan during a game it says they can't play it because mlb prohibits them from playing it. Every radio station playing mlb games says that. It's a cash grab! I shouldn't have pay them but I don't have cable and I wanted to listen to the games, pick your battles I guess. At least I got three months worth of Sports Illustrated.

Tonight it's our Ace, Roy Halladay, goes against our number two guy from last night, Burnett, who foolishly defected to New York for more money. Seems you can't walk two steps without running into some jerk.

Also I finished The Catcher in the Rye, an odd book to say the least. I'm sure it would have been different if I had read it in the 50s but reading it now, it's quite odd. There was one particular line that I thought summed the book up quite well and had I read it when I was younger I can imagine it making an impact, now not so much but I still like the line: "An immature man wants to die for a cause, a mature man wants to live humbly for one." Just a great line and I believe it. I'm glad I finally read the damn book too, seems everyone had but me. It read a lot like Kerouac but it was much more entertaining I found.

Go Jays!

No comments: