Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Crap I Do

So I guess since I don't have enough crap to do I'll start a blog. I actually do have a lot of stuff going on so with a blog I only have to tell my stories once. Then when a guest comes to visit and asks how things are going I can direct them to my blog and go play Xbox while they catch up with me.

So let’s see, firstly I'm sure that something will give of them many things I've lined up for the summer, this blog is at the top of that list but we'll see. Maybe I'll become responsible.

I've been taking guitar lessons since January, so that's about 4 months and I have a little over one month left then I'm quitting that for the summer. That frees up my Monday nights but I've still got to practice all summer as I'll start the lessons again in the fall or winter. Especially since I'm pretty much past the technical stuff and onto actual music. Hopefully in the summer I'll really nail down the technical side of things, practice makes tolerable to listen to!

I've also signed up for a French class at Concordia, one part of five to earn a certificate. I do look forward to being bilingual, mainly because I'm sure people are talking about me in French and I want to catch them in the act. May take a couple years to get the full certificate though. This particular goal will be the last to fall by the wayside if I become overwhelmed. If this blog survives I'll write something in french on it but for now je n'écris pas de français très bien. I had some help with that statement. Classes are 3 hours Tuesday and Thursday and I have to put in an additional two hours every week in tutorial, plus homework. Concordia isn't making it easy for me, what university does? Classes start in six days and I applied two months ago but I haven't been accepted yet. I called yesterday and they said I can still sign up for classes a week into the session. That's great I'll start my re-entry into school by missing the first week. Jerks.

Kate and I have signed up for softball, that's Mondays. I'm looking forward to that, meeting new people in Montreal and playing organized sports. I hope they like beer and wings after games.

The last thing that we're going to attempt this summer is training for a triathlon. There is one in September and the olympic distances don't seem too daunting. Not with a summer of training. It's a 1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run. I swam a distance comparable to that 1.5 last summer and wasn't very tired, I didn’t' do it very fast of course but still 1.5k won't be too bad. The biking will probably be the hardest, maybe I've biked 15k at one time last year? The run will also suck, 5k was annoying when I did that, 10k after all that other stuff will be extra crappy. Still I'm sure the exercise is good for me somehow and I'll probably feel better once I get into it and then maybe I'll be able to say I did a triathlon, if not well the pools here are free so what did I lose?

That's just the weekly stuff, we've got two weddings, travel to various parts of Ontario to visit various people. We'll have guests ourselves and we have a backyard with a charcoal barbeque that we'll have to use. Kate is volunteering at a meals on wheels sort of place. So good luck to me, and to a lesser extent Kate, during our busy Montreal summer.

Tune in next time to learn more about The Crap I Do.