Thursday, March 11, 2010

First Pro Photo Shoot

I don't have much time to write since I have an entire day planned of going to the Gym, the movies and the language lab but I wanted to get an update out there since some good stuff has happened.

Kate got me a job shooting photos of the actors they're filming for some new commercials. I went to the shoot and when they were finished filming I took some photos. I was a bit nervous since it was my first job and I wouldn't get a chance to redo them if I screwed them up. I don't think they were perfect but they were good enough because the feed back I got was that they were of great quality and the ad agency was pleased with them. They're going to be used on various marketing materials. I learned a lot taking these pictures. I needed ten photos for each actor of which there were 8 so I took a couple hundred pics (gotta love digital) and selected the best 80 or so. I learned that the flash is garbage and if you can get away with not using it then awesome. Unfortunately unless you have great lighting you really do need the flash.

Basically it was a paid learning experience and I don't know if there's anything better than getting paid to learn, except maybe for getting paid more to learn. So now I'm technically a professional as I head of to Hamilton to volunteer my time on the camera crew of a werewolf movie. Man I can't wait. When they're filming there are not many people that get to be in the room, the director, the actors and the camera crew (along with a miscellaneous group of others). Oddly enough last night I saw parts of one of the movies I worked on Wide Awake. It was quite fun to see the scene's that I helped create. There was one scene where Eric had this shiny board and they were filming a scene of two guys in a car. Eric's job was to bounce the light off the actors faces once in a while to fake passing cars. I saw that scene and saw the light bouncing off their faces, awesome.

In other news I had my french oral presentation last night. I did it on Jacques Mesrine a gangster from the 60s and 70s. A few people commented on how interesting it was and I didn't stutter out my words like I used to doing stupid oral presentations so hopefully I got a good mark on it. At the very least I'm glad it's over, so as a reward I'm going to see The Crazies this afternoon. It's not in 3D, which is freakin awesome by the way, but I don't think I can see Alice without Kate since there are few movies we agree upon but I think the 3D movies are going to be some that we can agree upon until they become more common. I look forward to Clash of the Titans in 3D as well, I just wish we didn't have to wear those stupid glasses.

Oh yeah and I signed up for a Camera class at Concordia. It's for photographs not film but I may be able to make more money taking pictures then making films to start. I've already got more work on Saturday helping Kate's company Distributel and I was asked about doing some head shots. I suspect there is a lot of work for an amateur photographer with a kick ass camera.

So now you're updated on the crap I've done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your updates! Glad to hear everything is running smoothly! :)

DeClara said...

One of these days I'll set up a place to post movies and pics too. Also I've noticed I can't post comments on your blog, when I hit the comment button nothing happens.