Wednesday, January 6, 2010

From Texas To Hamilton

Texas was good and bad, visiting my parents for the first time in their southern winter home and meeting their friends was the good, the bad was the weather. The weather was a great improvement over the weather in Montreal but 12 degrees and a light rain does not make for hanging out by the pool. It is fine for visiting Mexico however which we did a number of times.
The food was another good thing, lots of Mexican and obscure Texas/Mexico snacks like a corn on the cob smothered in mayo some red stuff and shredder cheese, that one was actually pretty gross but walking down the street washing it down with a salted Corona made up for it's grossness, and the garbage can I found helped a bit as well.

I picked up some nice Tequila, although it doesn't have a worm in i,t as well as a few classic Mexican items like a blanket and a nacho dish, at least I think that's what it is. There was a shootout at the Mexican pub with the mechanical bull the previous month so we couldn't try the bucking bronco out although I'm sure I could have put my 8 seconds in. The other pub my parents usually go to was randomly closed every time we went too so we tried a couple of new places. They all love putting salt around the neck of Coronas. I know adding salt to an alcoholic beverage is not a great idea, especially not when you drink 6 of them, but it tastes pretty damn good.

Yesterday I had gum surgery. They take a piece of gum from the roof of your mouth and then stick it under the gum line that's receding and then they stitch it all up. It was a very smooth procedure they numb up the area before they use the needle to numb it up for the surgery so I didn't really feel much pain. There were a couple stitches that went in a bit outside of the numbed area and the metro ride home was unpleasant but the pain is negligible today and I've not even taken anything for it. The toughest part will be ensuring that the new gum heals, minor damage done to it in the next few days could prove costly. I can eat just fine but I have to chew on the right side of my mouth and I should probably avoid getting punched on the left side of my face as well.

I've got a final football practice tonight before the season starts Sunday. I am confident I'll be good to play on Sunday but tonight I may have to sit on the sidelines. We'll see how much healing I can get done in the next 9 hours.

All the animals were alive upon our return although we were a bit concerned. Not that we don't trust Ludo but the rats are getting more adventurous and they may decide they can make the jump from their shelf to the table one of these days and as much as I trust the cats with the rats when I'm around I don't know how they would react to a rat lose on the floor boards for three days.

Next week I visit Hamilton to see my good friend Eric who was my roommate for about a year in Toronto. I'm going to try out the double decker overnightaven't decided the dates just yet.
Unemployment does have it's advantages, I can travel, I watch a lot of movies, the house is cleaner than it's ever been. This trip is hopefully going to have as much business in it as fun, I'm hoping to break into the same vocation as Eric and being unemployed, in this case, is a pretty good first step.

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to anyone I missed, which was most people, but fear not some gifts/cards have yet to be mailed. I'll get to it though!

More crap to come...

1 comment:

Some Girl said...

Hope your mouth is feeling better!